Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It's been THREE months since I had this bad fall and still I shall need major surgery and time on my side to be able to regain my normal way of walking and living....

I came across this page which is part of my biography and thought it was an encouraging page for me and family to upload here - reminding me of the hardships I went through back then when I also had a very bad back fracture. As it says in my biography, I was in a metal cast for 9 months and the pain was unbearable for a very long time. Time makes you forget these little things which is why it's a good thing to write it all down. For many months then I was unable to stand for very long, and I could not sit except with a mountain of pillows.... In the layout below I am standing with the metal cast (which is hidden under my lose outfit and making me look huge, like a size 16, haha......). Looking at it now I am smiling because I KNOW I shall get better.

This is what I call 'A Part of My Life', and it is just that: a part, because there are so many facets to it that I often wonder how I coped with it all. It has been very tumultous and busy and not always happy, not always finding the peace inside myself that I so badly needed and did not realize it.
(the newspaper article says:) - last name removed...

Sabina - a hobby that's become a successful business
In order to succeed, sometimes you need a lot of love and a strong belief in what you are doing. Success can sometimes also be achieved through hard work and long hours. And sometimes it takes a lot of talent. Sabina xxx has all three ingredients. Sabina owns and operates three stores simply called 'Sabina'. (later she added three
more stores, all in the range of 3 - 4000 sq.ft. large).
Inside each shop you'll find a wonderous world of antiques and primitives, victorian accents, collectibles, laces, Christmas ornamens, framed pictures and so on and so on. When you step inside these stores, you quickly realize that it is not your average collection of crafts. No, a great deal of time, planning and love has evidently gone on in the planning of the store's 'contents and in their decorations. 'My stores are me' Sabina says, 'they reflect my personality. 'They reflect my love for creations and what they represent. It has nothing to do with making money.'

Sabina says that she was 'always making things' as a housewife, such as baby coats and Christmas wreaths and that five years ago, she decided to take her 'hobby' out to the public. The first location was in a small boutique inside the restored Cor Block in St. Catharines. Within nine months Sabina moved to a larger location within the Core Block. 'We went from 350 sq.ft. to 2,500 sq. ft. she recalls. Sabina started without any staff, and made most of the items herself, so the hours were long and the work was hard, she explains but she is quick to add that it never has been 'work'.. 'I have always loved making things. My head is full with new ideas" she says. If I ever became a business woman, I would retire. So that's when her retired husband Mario comes in. 'Mario manages me', Sabina explains, to which Mario replies 'I manage the business, you're unmanageable'. It's Sabina's desire to always be working on her hobby which makes her 'unmanageable'. One year ago she had a minor heart attack
and fell down a flight of stairs where upon she broke her back. But as soon as she was able and before her doctor advised, Sabina was back at her hobby. The newest location on Queen Street is actually a move from around the corner where they have been for one year on Victoria Street. We wanted more space and it is a better location, explains Mario. Sabina loves the ambience of Niagara-on-the-Lake. 'It's more like us' she says. The store has a sense of tranquility and Sabina explains that no one is ever pressured into buying anything. 'Our people are there to help', she explains. 'I want people to enjoy the creations without having to pay top prices.' Sabina's secret to success is to 'work hard, know your crafts and how long they will take to make.' But most of all 'to love what you do'.....


3 comments:

DogArtist said...

I am glad you are trying to blog. It is nice to see an entry from you and of course I remember this page too! Hang in there :D

Jeannette said...

I remember this page, remember this story. I really admired your succes, but there always is an other side.
You recovered then, I´m sure you will recover now! So major surgery, you need to have an operation on your back then? Sounds scary, but it's for a good goal, right?
I am happy to hear from you again though, your in my mind regularly!
Keep it up Sabina!
Hugs Jeannette

Balinda said...

always an inspiration my sweet friend