Wednesday, November 21, 2012


I always look for old wood. Aged, rough and with imperfections. Then I take it and burn it over the flame of a candle till it changes texture to the point of little flames shooting out from its sides and/or surface. It's a lengthy process because I sand it down in between many stages of burning.


finally I put the picture on it and then again I burn its edges to the point where the actual picture starts burning along the edges.

 
 
 

When I am totally satisfied that it's integrated into the wood, I apply an aging compound, some wax, more sanding, some stain, and more burning over an open flame.
(I forgot to mention its size which is
ca. 6 1/2 inches x 6 3/4 inches x 3/4" thick.)





I like to take my time so it's usually about two weeks before I feel confident enough to put the final touches of wax on it or depending on what I used as a picture, a flat matte finish.


Needless to say I love working with wood but looking at the photo it still does not
look like the real thing. Now I wonder if i should post any of it at all. Lol. It looks so much better when I hold it in my hand, it looks like a light color surrounding the madonna and the sides look awful but it must be a reflection - or the photo is lousy.



4 comments:

coachman said...

Have you ever considered taking up a career in creating counterfeit historical masterpieces?

diane.ca said...

Beautiful work, you should be proud of what you have created.

DogArtist said...

LOL..on coachman...but seriously this is wonderful and I can see the craftsmanship! I am sooo glad you loaded it. I am sure you are meticulous - it shows!!!! :D

Sabina said...

hehe, yes, I had to laugh outright and couldn't stop laughing about coachman and the cute comment. Love the idea of it, haha.