Wednesday, October 24, 2012

We called it the "Klonaris House"


 On her recent trip to Freeport, Grand Bahama Island my daughter took a few shots of the places that we lived in. The ocean can be seen behind the house...

Continental Park

 behind the wall and the gate is a large swimming pool and  on the other side of the screened-in patio I used to have what is called in the South a 'Bahama Room'...filled with orchids that I collected  (very often sending my husband into the woods to climb up a tree and retrieve it for me) - a paradise in the truest sense to wake up to and tranquillity at night ...enjoying it with a glass of wine, of course....
 

what I really loved most of all was my Bahama Room because I love plants and would take an orchid and tie it to the bark of a tree with Spanish Moss. Finches and a canary would add their song and I was in bliss. The children loved my coffee table, constructed by myself out of half a wine barrel, topped with heavy plate glass and inside the barrel you could see miniture plants and tiny bridges all growing in a little soil and rocks like a miniature Botanical garden with tiny benches to rest on.

P.S. the photos are not great quality but considering that I never took a photo of our actual homes, these are better than none at all. I do have a few of us in the pool or me in a bikini but no way am I posting them here.....)

2 comments:

DogArtist said...

How nice of her to take some shots while driving by! Or however - it looks like a nice and simple place too. Very inviting as well and I love your description of that table. Shame you have no photos of that either - it sounds wonderful. Interesting too!!! :D

Goshiki said...

Interesting, Sabina. I have always had the vague idea to drive by all of the places I have lived in the past to get photos. I imagine they would look pretty benign compared to yours. It's the memories that shine and you have articulated yours so well. Sometimes, small things like your table tell such a big story.