Friday, October 19, 2012

(please forgive any spelling or grammatical errors, I am not of English birth!
and I never use spellchecker. Hate the thing.)

I have been asked many times to post a date on my photos or identify who
is in one of my actual digital pages.....so now I am going to explain why
I don't post dates on photos and why I don't always identify a person in a layout.

Unless I use a photo from the 1900s or the person is no longer living,
it's fine. I normally don't have a problem with it, but my children and recent
photos of  myself or family remain unnamed normally because all of us have
realized that anything online is not private. I would love to post photos of
my beloved grandchildren in my blog but would have to ask permission each
time and that really is a pain....Maybe what I will do perhaps is just to show
a page for a short while, and then remove it after a few days? a while? not
sure about it because it really sounds stupid. Lol. (this is for my kids, sweethearts!):
I have however a gallery at www.scrapbookgraphics.com where I post
 digital pages that are more personal and remove them after a
 few days or weeks....please feel free to browse through my gallery there).....
I have an enormously huge problem about dating a photo. Dates have never
been my strong side....I even mix up my son's birthday with my youngest
daughter's because they were born one day apart in the same month, not to
mention all the other data I should be remembering since they were major
milestones in our lives...
Back to dating a photo.....
I have thousands and thousands of photos.....from having lived all over the
world and in 47 different houses or homes, it is a given. Many photos were
taken with a polaroid or when I would think of it, our Zeiss (Leica)
camera. The digital era had not started and computers did not exist during
most of my life....and I never EVER thought of taking a photo for just the
memories. It was just something we did. Travel and enjoy and assuming we
would see it again and again. In other words, shooting or snapping a photo
was done, but not with the purpose or importance that photographers or
people put on it now. It had no particular significance and we often did
not bother taking a camera, always assuming that we would revisit the place
again.
More importantly and that is the biggy in this:
very few people realize just how much I have travelled. It was not just a holiday
once a year or a vacation even twice a year.....it was a lifestyle filled with
exploring our beautiful Mother Earth.
When my father returned from Russia after a ten year imprisonment (he was
one of seven last returning POW in 1950), he made it his mission to enjoy life.
Work hard and play hard. Every single weekend, he would take us to a corner
of Germany, Holland, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Austria....wherever he
wanted to go, we would go.
He could not stay home and I largely attribute this to the fact that he was a
prisoner during the best years of his life. By the time I was 18/19, I had seen
most of Western Europe.....I have seen the Alps, the Dolomites, and
the seas surrounding the European Continent.
My father was racing cars and working for Mercedes Benz, so we had advantages.
                                              
During my studies in England, I would return to Germany every three
months. My boss, Robert Ian Maxwell, the owner of Pergamon Press, took
a liking to me and enabled me to return home whenever I felt like it.
I gained experience in being totally independent when travelling, be it flying
by plane or taking the big boat with all the cars loaded into its hull.
The rest of my life is literally history. I married twice, both husbands having
the love of adventure in their blood and making the world their oyster.
I have to insert one important fact: I never liked taking a photo with a person
in it. It had to be pure i.e. landscape or buildings or whatever but not aimed
at either me, the children or my husband. I look through the lens as an
artist would look at a canvas, not wanting to spoil it for the sake of showing
where we were at the time - though I did take portraits of the children every
now and then.
When I say that I lived in so many places, it not only means that we lived
there. It was a glorified center point and we would be taking trips to
any country surrounding our center point. Some of the time my husband's
job took us to other countries, sometimes I would fly to Italy or wherever
I wanted to do my semi annual shopping. I have shopped in Switzerland,
England, Ireland, Iceland, Israel, Germany and of course Italy, Canada
and the USA. Since one of my children needed medical attention I would
be flying half way across the world and often stop at places that I love for
their food or fashion...taking a few days to explore the city. The children
grew up with a cosmopolitan outlook, the world was open to them and I
fostered this sense of appreciation in their little minds.
In short, I would be boarding a plane on an average every three months
to fly a minimum of eight hours to reach a destination, no matter where we
were. And then usually another eight hours to fly elsewhere.
When I said in one of my emails that a place is just another dot on the map,
it was not meant that it had no significance. Of course not. How can it
not be significant when we all love to travel so much? But you learn to
differentiate and appreciate each place on its own merits, some more
memorable obviously than others, depending on personal perception and
character.
Well, this has become a long story and it really all condenses into one thought:
if I were to leave this life right now, I would be deeply grateful for having been
given such blessed years. I have seen and lived more than most, and feel
totally humbled by it.
I have had it all....and could not ask for more.
(hence my second name 'Serenity'......because I am at peace even though life is still hectic!)

Until we meet again, au revoir, 'Auf Wiedersehen', fino a quando ci incontreremo di nuovo; jusqu'à ce que nous nous revoyions; indtil vi mødes igen;

 
created by Sabina, the title "Years Ago"....

I used a photo of myself here some twenty years ago when visiting my daughter in Freiburg, Bavaria, Germany right on the edge of the Black Forest. Freiburg dates back to the 12 century and is wellknown for one of the oldest universities. I loved sitting in the square nibbling on some German Fries which are served  differently there than we eat in Canada. No ketchup, but mayonaise...(the background in the photo is not part of my own original photo, but it's a very likened image of what Freiburg really looks like. I just took myself out of the original and placed my image into the square of the paper, lol.)
 

3 comments:

DogArtist said...

Whoa! Lots of info! LOL.
I loved that LO you posted and it doesn't look like you! Amazing that you wore those shoes, almost contemporary as in, now. Same for the skirt!! Amazing my friend. And yes, most of us know that food is different in different countries. Isn't that great? It makes the world go around...and for fun too. It is sad you feel that way about dates though but I understand. Same on photos. They are our memories and many times can tell history, but you know that! Not everyone likes taking photos, even at that yours are quite nice. Nice entry Sabina!:)

Sabina said...

eh, I was referring to French Fries ONLY, not food in general, Amy. I realize that everyone knows the difference in cuisine (if there is such a thing in a country), it would indeed be rather condescending to presume otherwise. No, just French Fries, and there I can say that the only time I have seen them served in a bag with mayonnaise was from a trailer was in Germany and Holland.

Lisa said...

Although I knew from your gallery at SBG that you traveled the world and lived in many different places, I sure did enjoy reading about it here at your blog. I am a bit envious of your travels. As a teenager, especially, I dreamed about traveling the world. I am certain one of the reasons serving in the military appealed to me was to have the ability to travel...guess I should have joined the U.S. Navy, however, as they go significantly more places than the Army...lol.

Thank you for sharing so much about yourself and your journey. When I read stories such as yours, it inspires me, takes me back to being a dreaming teenager full of hope of travels yet to be.