Friday, September 7, 2012

talking about Europe, it reminds me of our coffee afternoons and German cakes that I absolutely love and cannot live without. I used to be able to eat three pieces of cake daily: one piece around ten a.m. for my second cup of coffee, another piece of cake around 4 p.m. with my afternoon tea and definitely a third piece after dinner as a desert.....I am reminded of the typical Chocolate Marble cake that is like a staple in all cafes and homes....simple to make and nice to look at.

 
The marble cake is one of these typical cake recipes for the traditional "coffee and cake" getting together on Sunday afternoons. German families and friends like to meet Sunday afternoon to enjoy a cup of coffee and some cake. They come together in their homes, or meet in Cafes which are open on Sundays. You dress with style but not in a blatant obvious way.

My mother would always bake a cake for the weekend, and one of them was a marble cake. It is a delicious cake because it was never too dry or too mushy. I think nobody in Germany can imagine a Sunday without a cake.

Chocolate Marble cake recipe:
Makes 1 cake

 
1 cup Butter, room temperature
1 cup Sugar
4 Large eggs,
1 cup Milk
1 tsp Almond Extract
3 1/4 cups Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
1 pinch Salt
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
3 tbsp Triple Sec

Icing Sugar for dusting

 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt or fluted pan (like an angel food cake pan) and set aside. ( I use a German cake pan specially sold for those Marble cakes, but any fluted pan will be fine.)
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, milk, and almond extract.
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into the butter and eggs.
Move half of the batter into a separate bowl. Mix in the cocoa powder and triple sec.
Spoon the batter into the cake pan, alternating white and brown batter. Then swirl with a fork.

 
Bake for about 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving or prepare icing with hot water and trickle it over the top of the cake once it's cooled.

 
 

2 comments:

DogArtist said...

I LOVE this and oh my it looks so good! How great that you are sharing this fabulous recipe too!!! Big YUM!!!

diane.ca said...

Yummy, I'm going to try this recipe thanks for sharing. But I don't think I'll eat 3 pieces a day!