Friday, August 24, 2012

I am scared of heights !

I am scared of heights. Always have been and I think it all started with my Dad driving up those narrow winding roads in the Dolomites or the alps. Only those who have had the experience of driving on those roads at the top of a pass would know what I am talking about. The road might be so narrow that any oncoming car would have to wait till you have backed up into an 'escape' route but it would entail going backwards for at least 500 years or more.....the fear of heights has influenced me in chosing an apartment with the maximum of six floors up. Anyway, the other day I was in the Eaton Centre in Toronto and it really is a huge deal for me to go into one of those outside elevators. Fun for everyone except me - you are on the outside and can look all the way down into the various levels of the mall. I cling to the inside door or wall of the elevator avoiding to peek. OMG, no way. And yet strangely, I love flying. I have flown a Cessna all by myself from the Bahamas to Miami and never felt a twinge of fear. I love flying for eight hours across the Atlantic ocean without a second thought and even when the window next to my seat blew out, I felt mildly interested but not worried at all. Of course it really doesn't help getting stuck in an elevator which I lived through not very long ago shortly after one of my hip surgeries. Stuck for quite a while, the elevator company had to be called and of course they are from out of town. Fortunately my husband was with me but still....we were stuck and in between floors. People were shouting to us from various levels reassuring me that someone was on their way.... and here I am to tell the tale..... Chalk it up to another 'experience'.....

2 comments:

DogArtist said...

Love that you took a photo! How nice...height don't really bother me...love elevators (Mike does not, he is claustrophobic) but I am fine. Love the entry today! Excellent.

twinsmomflor said...

I am funny with heights too... love the photo